Monday, May 10, 2010

Waccamaw River Race

The extended paddle race concept is catching on around the country. Mike Shaw at the Ext. Srvc. tells me about a race in Missouri about 100-150 miles long that started just a few years ago and is now turning away participants at some 300.

So, we're working on something from Lake Waccamaw to the ocean. It's about 130 miles or so. I think the way to do it is to actually make it three races over three days. We would have official starts and finish lines and we would add up the times for each leg. People would camp out each night, and we would forward their gear by truck. Or at least that's how we figured it so far.

There's just something neat about going all the way from the Lake to the ocean. As Ray Wyche commented; "It's where the whole Atlantic Ocean gets its water - from Lake Waccamaw!"

The first stretch is winding and challenging with obstacles, while the last third or more is wide-open river and bay. We'd moor a boat out at the official ocean line for the final finish.

We thought of starting at the dam, but a better idea is to start at Big Creek, especially if we get several dozen (or hundred) boats, so they can spread out before they get on the narrow river.

We haven't come up with a name yet, but are working with the "Waccamaw Slide."


Tom thinks the event sounds great, but he said no way was he spending three of his precious days off paddling down those snake-infested waters.

Ashleigh, I need to look at that calendar again. I think the early spring or fall would be best, as your husband is right - snakes are an issue. Too bad, because the river is so much more beautiful in the summer.

In the year 2010, I don't think it's as much of an adventure as it used to be. They cleared the NC part of the river right out a few years ago, pulling large trees out of there and everything - we cruised through in small boats. But already, it is filling up with obstacles. I've got two years to work on him.

The extended paddle sounds awesome. Are you talking about negotiating the Waccamaw River all the way to the Atlantic? YUP. If you are I am so jealous! I wanna go. It's always, always been my dream. I'm up for a Waccamaw "Float", as I'm not in race shape, but I'd be happy to be the 2nd man on a slow-paced personal endurance challenge. I've been infatuated with the Waccamaw River since I was a wee tot. I've studied the route very well and have even been to the part of the Waccamaw in SC where it is wide. Not having to tote gear would make the trip a lot easier for sure; I might be able to talk my husband into this. :O)

Are you ready to paddle 30-40 miles / day? Maybe you could be the third person on a canoe? The thought of traveling the route in a small skiff with a 5hp is appealing. Someone just told me about a "relay" race, where each team would have a dozen paddlers, and they each paddle a leg. But that takes the fun out of paddling the entire river...

As for the start, you could do a scattered shotgun start (by lottery) b/c you're going to keep track of start times by leg. Put the fastest people in front? Big Creek might be the easiest. But there is something so romantic about starting out at the dam. Help me out here, is it the symbolic start of the Waccamaw? It does seem a bit neater package, unless you think of Big Creek as the origin. For that matter, Dale's would be more public and "fun." Might want to try it the first year, especially if you don't have too too many participants.

I like the "Waccamaw Slide" idea. The only other thing that pops to mind is that maybe there is some naming potential with the "Swamp Fox" character from the Revolutionary War. I like this! - This I like! And it seems to me that I've heard some lore that the Waccamaw River (that crooked first leg portion) was unnavigable in one of the colonial war campaigns; I can't remember if it was relative to the Swamp Fox or not. The Swamp Fox Run, or The Swamp Fox 130...

Also, the Waccamaw Depot museum has an awesome old map of the area...it would neat for a tshirt back art. It depicts the area, at least the lake and most of that first river section and it's termed "The Savage" 'Tract'. Good branding op. We have the Savages, the Rice Run and the Bay.

The whole event sounds promising. When are you thinking about launching it? Whenever I can muster up enough enthusiasm in someone to take the reins. We have plenty of time (see schedule below) but there are other parties possibly interested, like the Waccamaw River Keeper, maybe Conway tourism, etc. See above comment about a LWP&R..

No comments: