Monday, May 10, 2010

Memorial Day mini event

We've always had requests by people to just walk part of the route (and always will!) While we, of course can't stop people from dropping out (wouldn't that be interesting?) we do discourage people from starting unless they intend to and believe the can finish. We're pretty stubborn on that. We want people to commit themselves early, and train for the big day, not just wake up and decide to do this. You're right, it would "dilute" TTL.

It would really need a different name, too, I think... Agree on another name. Memorial Day Lake Splash. Memorial Day Lake Laps. Memorial Day Lake Pace Races (play on Indy/Coca Cola 500 & training). Long training sessions should give you plenty of time to come up with the name. Let me get on my skates and give it some thought. Computer storming isn't my thing. Sorry, nothing's raising my BP here. I would love to get out of the norm with this. Just heard about a footrace called "Crazy Feet." The name doesn't have to spell out what it does - I would just rather it be something people will remember and feel like part of the in-crowd to join. How about "Little Feat" as in the rock band of the 80s. I just checked and they're still active, so that might be an issue. "Little Feats" maybe? Keep stirring those synapses.

Here's the logic behind TTL, from what I can remember. It comes from a military term, (you may already have gathered.) When you "take" a hill or fort, you capture it, you surround it, and it's yours. I didn't realize how well it worked until we were in the heat of a discussion about people wanting to shorten the route (see above) and Eric Brandt said; "It's Take the Lake, not Take Part of the Lake." So, even though it isn't zippy, hip or really catchy, I'm more comfortable with it now than ever.


How about these distances?
Walk / Run / Skate - 1, 3 & 5 12 miles between LAWA visitors center & dam
Bike (no hike) - 5 & 12 miles from the LAWA visitors center
Paddle - About 6 miles between Dale's & Dam
Swim - One mile near Dales.

Event name? Memorial Day Mixer. Memorial Day Mix(ed?) Race. (OOPS! Scratch that. I'm glad I did not say that out loud at a meeting.) Memorial Day - Mix It Up, LAKE WACCAMAW. Still a low pulse. It's too bad Mix and Race do not fit well in an event title name. I like using the "M"s. Well, how about Summer Kickoff, or The Summer Kicker? We have plenty of time... Mmmmm.....I think Mixed Raced is just about as bad, Mark. I actually kind of liked "The Summer Kicker." Oh well... *< )

No comments: