Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Is it too late to back...

Is Labor Day really this weekend? Am I really going to walk/bike/paddle/swim Lake Waccamaw? Did I really brag (endlessly) about how I am going to put other people to shame? Did I really have to brag so loudly?

Can I just crawl back under my rock and forget everything?

No? OK, Mark, take some deep breaths and relax...

We have work to do. Here are the latest details.

- First, I have heard some very positive comments about how important an event like this can be for the lake and county, so I want you all to know that we are really on to something big, here, and that your participation is a vital part of a grassroots effort to develop a more healthy and exciting Columbus County.

- The schedule is pretty solid. Of the four events, the swim and walk are set, but the bike and paddle start times and locations wiggled around a bit. Here they are (as printed on the yellow card.)
- Bike - We'll leave the Wildlife boat ramp at about 9:30 and roll down to the campground where they should be finishing up with church. Meet at the ramp or attend "Campground Church" - your choice.
- Paddle - Walter and I will be at the Wildlife landing at 4 p.m. Friday. Our original plan was to just paddle the swim route back and forth, for 6-8 miles, but then we got carried away and started dreaming about paddling the whole darned lake. We're thinking now that might not be such a good idea only a few days before the swim, so we'll probably just stick to the west shore - we'll decide on Friday. Everyone is, of course, welcome to do as they please and I'd love to see some people paddle around the lake.

- Remember, we don't all have to do this together. If you can't make it this weekend, just walk/bike/paddle/swim the lake some time. This year, it's all about researching the idea for development.

- We need to get together for an initial discussion about the future of this event. I'm going to suggest this date:
SEPT. 9 (TUES) at 7 p.m at the Lake Depot Museum
I'll ask everyone at each event (please remind me) and get some kind of consensus. We could meet at Dale's or the State Park (during business hours, I presume)

- Any tips? Walter says a few bananas before the swim will help stop cramping. I don't know - I've fallen for some good ones before, and you know how those attorneys can be. I'm going to eat pretty light this weekend.

- We'll have to have a "personal Takethelake trainer" page or blog for next year.

- I'm bringing a GPS to track my routes for future reference (and for proof!) I guess it'll look pretty boring - look, a circle... - but hey, that's my circle, and I walked it, and cycled it!

Yours at 71 beats per minute resting pulse

Mark Gilchrist

No comments: